SPECIES offers a total of three scholarships in its areas of interest, for PhD students or recent graduates to work with relevant research groups.
These will involve an internship of three months in one of the candidate host institutions, working under the supervision of an advisor.
The selected students will receive an allowance of 900 euros per month to cover accommodation and living expenses.
The host institution will cover any registration or matriculation expenses (“bench fees”) that are necessary; they may also provide funds to cover up to three additional months, and any other advantage they wish to offer (e.g. travel funds)
At the end of the internship, at least one paper must be submitted to one of the EvoStar conferences with the results of the work carried out; if accepted, the conference registration fee for the scholarship recipient will be waived.
Applicants will be selected based on merit by a committee designated by the SPECIES Executive Board.
Candidates and host institutions will be matched following preferences indicated by both sides (at most one awardee per host institution). We aim at holding virtual meetings during EvoStar 2021 between candidates and potential hosts in order to foster interaction.
The start of the internship must be agreed upon between the student and the host institution and should be in any case no later than February 1st 2022.
How to apply
Candidate applicants must provide:
- a short CV (max. 1 page)
- a description of their research interests and their current work (max. 1 page)
- proof of matriculation for a PhD at a university institution OR proof of having submitted a PhD thesis in the 24 months prior to the deadline
- a reference letter from their supervisor.
Applications must be sent to email@example.com specifying CANDIDATE in the subject of your email
Prospective advisors/host institutions must provide:
- short CV of the advisor(s) (max. 1 page)
- description of the research group (max. 1 page)
- description of the work to be carried out by the student (max. 1 page)
- other information they deem relevant to emphasise the interest of their offer (e.g. additional funding, accommodation arrangements, interest of the city…) (max 1 page)
Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying HOST in the subject of your email
Deadline for all applications: 30 April 2021
SPECIES Scholarships Chair: Christine Zarges, Aberystwyth University